Saturday, January 24, 2009

Shout out for random acts of kindness

The other day after work I needed to pick up a few things for dinner so I swung by the grocery store on my way home. I was pretty hungry and had been craving red Gatorade for a few days, but that's beside the point. I had just a little bit more than I could carry to the car, so I took the cart out and put the groceries in the car. Naturally, I had purchased my red Gatorade and so I pulled it out of the bag to consume on my way home. I was holding that and my keys in one hand and trying to maneuver my cart back to the cart return with the other. Just then a guy walked past me, returning his own cart, and said, "Here, let me take that for you," and returned my cart for me!

It really was such a small thing for him to do, but I was cold, hungry and feeling a little harried. That small gesture meant a lot. So to the random grocery store guy: Thanks! and keep up the good work. This world needs all the random acts of kindness it can get.

2 comments:

LadyCarma said...

I can't tell you the feelings of satisfaction I get when I say to someone in the parking lot: "Let me take that for you." I especially like it when I find an older-than-me woman and offer to help her put her groceries in her car/trunk, and then take her cart for her. I feel like a kid again! Like an earlier post you made, everyone should try it sometimes, just so you feel good.

Katrina said...

STACI!!!! I found your blog from Erlynnes!! YOUR HAVING A BABY! Congrats!!! I hope life is great!