Sunday, April 24, 2011

I think I used to be kinda smart once...

Even though I am used to be blonde, I've always prided myself on not being an airheady blonde. I had a friend growing up that was truly airheaded. Her blondey mishaps were always hilarious, but I was glad it wasn't me. Case in point: We were at a party once drinking lemonade out of dixie cups. She needed to pull her beautiful blonde hair (she did have great hair) back into a pony tail so she held on to the dixie cup (filled with lemonade mind you) between her teeth while she did this. Then she flipped her head over to put her pony tail up, dumping lemonade all over her face. It still makes me laugh, years later. I never understood how she could have forgotten that she was holding a cup of lemonade in her teeth after only a few seconds of placing it there.

Flash forward to now. Ever since Reesey was born, I have felt like a total airhead. Really, airhead is the perfect word to describe me right now. I feel like I can't think of anything clever to say, complete a sentence, or carry on a conversation. Eric has to explain simple concepts to me over and over. Its embarrassing. I mean, pretty sure I have a college degree-- I shouldn't be as dumb as I am right now.

A friend pointed out that I can probably attribute my newfound idiocy to lack of sleep. I think she's right. This week I've gotten even less sleep than usual thanks to Wesley's unsolved mystery fever (I thought it was probably teething but there are no signs of those 2 year molars and the fever is gone... weird), and I had a seriously airheaded moment tonight.

Tonight as I was taking my shower, I accidentally started washing my face with hair conditioner. Somehow, in the few seconds between when I squeezed the bottle of conditioner into my hand and when my hands moved towards my head, I had forgotten what I was doing and figured it must be time to wash my face. It didn't take me long to realize I'd messed something up. So I was laughing to myself, recognizing I needed more sleep, and reflecting on how dumb I've become as I finished up my shower. I went to turn off the water when I realized I'd only washed my hair and face and not the rest of me. Pretty sure the bar of soap is one of the most essential tasks of the shower... how did I miss that step?

Wow. Please excuse me, I'm going to go fold my college diploma into a paper airplane now to try to impress my toddler.

2 comments:

Marilou said...

It has long been my philosophy that as mothers, somewhere in the process of growing a baby we give half our brains to our baby...and the effect is compounded the more kids we have (for example I have had to backspace this comment more than anything else because apparently I can't type anymore since I am pregnant).
I'm with you...I have a college education but I can't recognize it anywhere inside of me!

LadyCarma said...

Tell yourself this phrase every day: "This is normal 'mom' behavior", and "This too shall pass." Staci and Marilou, you are both witty in your posts, so I see nothing wrong with your brains that a little time, age, and more sleep won't repair. I did more stupid things than you have both shared, but the problem is I can't remember them!
I love the post, by the way!