Tuesday, December 28, 2010

So the doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I could just keep my finger outta there!

(For those that aren't either my siblings or huge Simpsons geeks, the title is a quote from Ralph on the Simpsons)

Last Saturday night, Wesley woke up crying at around 5ish am.  That's not completely out of the ordinary, it still happens sometimes. Usually he won't go back to sleep in his own bed afterwards and I'm forced to bring him into our bed. Normally I don't mind, but this was actually the only night that Eric and I had to share a bed for quite some time and neither of us sleep quite as well with Mr. Squirmy in there too.

Well, I tried, but he wasn't going back to sleep so I brought him in with us. Around 7:30 he stirred/woke up  and I noticed blood ALL over his face! It totally freaked me out! I jumped out of bed and grabbed a warm wet wash cloth to clean him up. I figured out he must have had a bloody nose and that's what caused the wake up/freak out in the wee hours. I went into his room and saw this:



It seriously looked like a scene from a horror movie with the bloody handprints on the crib... eww. I don't do blood. I procrastinated cleaning it up for a few days but thanks to the miraculous combo of Shout + Oxy-Clean it came out in just one wash!

Here's the little nose picker with crusty blood on his face. Again, my mom instinct pounced too fast before I thought to get a picture of the whole bloody face. It's probably for the best. I don't need to remember that image.

He got another spontaneous nosebleed at church later that morning. We've since started putting Aquaphor in his nose at night and that has actually drastically cut down the nose-picking! Thank goodness. Funny thing is, he loves it when we put the Aquaphor in his nose. He even requests it. :) Hopefully that means no more nosebleeds!

1 comment:

LadyCarma said...

Ah, yes, keep the moisture in the nose passages at night to prevent nose bleeds. Did I ever tell you how I had daily nosebleeds when I was attending Ricks College as a freshman. I had two or three a day, to the point that I had low blood. It was really embarrassing to have blood spouting in class! The winter cold and the hot rooms! Thank goodness that too passed. Thanks for the cute pictures of Wesley.